On Saturday, April 16th the Pacific Coast of Ecuador was struck by an earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter Scale, resulting in severe damages to cities and towns in the Province of Manabí, among them, Bahía de Caráquez.
La Poderosa Media Project has carried out community film projects with the youth of Bahía for almost a decade, during which time, in addition to working together, we have forged ties that exceed friendship and collegiality. We have become family.
We are part of this community and we are deeply saddened by the destruction of infrastructure and homes, but above all, by the loss of human life.
We want to help our community, and to that end we have developed a plan to support Bahía on two fronts:
1. A fundraising campaign available at the following link:
These funds will be used for:
- The purchase of food and drinks, toiletries, medicine, repellant, among other essential items
- Supporting projects aimed at reconstruction and healthcare in the area
2. We will receive donations of material goods in collaboration with the Universidad de San Francisco in Quito (usfq.edu.ec) to be distributed via local groups and organizations that transport goods in the area:
- Nonperishable food stuffs: canned goods, sugar, crackers and energy bars
- Bottled water and hydrating sports drinks
- Tents, blankets, and mosquito nets
- Clothing apt for a tropical climate and for all ages
- Insect repellent (expiration date no less than three months)
- Toilet paper, sanitary wipes, moist towlettes, feminine hygiene products, diapers
Any and all help is important, and in this urgent moment we hope that you can collaborate with us to the benefit of the youth of Bahía de Caráquez and their families. We will receive any type of donation and distribute it in an efficient and transparent manner in collaboration with local organizations and/or individuals.
We know that community is built in such times of need, and we are committed to helping Bahía recover. Please consider contributing to our campaign and together we can have a positive impact on the present and future of Bahía.
#EnLasBuenasYEnLasMalas #SoyPoderoso #BahíaPoderosa